[PLUG-AV] some playing around with my camera.

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Fri Mar 11 20:56:14 WST 2011

Rock and roll.

Can you make this Wednesday Jason?

I read that DV switch will lock to the aspect ration and frame rate of
the first video source that connect to it. I suggest we standardise on
720x576 PAL @ 25fps, but when time comes to coding stuff, we remain
flexible up to full HD (and dual video stream?).

I think for the main DVswitch workstation, we're going to want a bit of
grunt for encoding - or potentially have the DVswitch host pass DV
frames out to some other system elsewhere on local network with gobs of
bandwidth to do the encoding?

  James

On 11/03/2011 8:50 PM, Jason Nicholls wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> I have a 3CCD DV camera (Panasonic PV-GS150) and finally got around to
> seeing whether it had pass-through DV over firewire, and it does! This
> was purchased from the US though and the DV stream is 720x480 @ 30fps
> (NTSC) versus 720x576 @ 25fps (PAL) - not configurable as far as I
> could see via the menus. This might cause a problem if we're using
> multiple DV streams and switching between them... The camera also
> supports wide DV which puts out 720x480 (872x480 after applying aspect
> ratio to get square pixels).
>
> I used dvgrab to dump the raw video and everything just worked
> auto-magically. i.e. plug in camera, turn on, run dvgrab. This is with
> Ubuntu 10.10.
>
> I also did some more testing to see about encoding in real-time and
> discovered that my laptop isn't gutsy enough. The laptop is a macbook
> with Core 2 Duo T8100 (2.1Ghz). This is fast enough for high quality
> flv encoding, but the resulting compression isn't as good as x264 or
> theora. In fact it can do flv just using the one CPU and still hit
> 30fps no probs. theora or x264 encoding dropped things down to less
> than 10fps using both CPUs. Might be my settings too - i'm just about
> to watch the LCA video to see what they do.
>

> Jason

Mobile: +61 422 166 708, Email: james_AT_rcpt.to