[PLUG-AV] Fwd: Next AV Project meet-up.

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Mon Mar 21 13:03:02 WST 2011

On 21/03/2011 12:33 PM, Tim Bowden wrote:
> <sigh>
> Pity they don't have any suitable AMD mobo's.  Never dealt with them,
> and no idea how 'reasonable' their prices or kit are (though it would
> be hard for a business to offer cheaper second hand prices.

Ah, they're over east. I was looking for a suitable local refurbishing
place. Ross and McClerrnons (sp?) auction houses, as Nick ahs pointed
out, seem the clearest options.

> <shrug>
>
> I guess if we can't get anything better, maybe we'll have to shell out
> some dollars for something.  I'll do another request to the plug list
> 'just because'.  I'm a little surprised we can't get a loaner from
> someone in PLUG.

Thanks.

> How much grunt do we need for our DVSwitch host for the first few
> trials?  If it's 'not that much' for simple stuff (and not minding a
> few skipped frames etc), maybe the newer of the old boxes *might* do
> at a stretch, though it is single core.  We'd need a replacement
> camera box though.

Well spec on DVSwitch page suggests
(http://dvswitch.alioth.debian.org/wiki/component_interaction/)

    DVSwitch GUI does require at least a 1 Ghz cpu, but the GUI will
    flicker until about 2Ghz. I have run clients on P2 300 cpu just fine.
    The important part of this is the bandwidth and CPU requirements:
    the connection from *dvswitch* to *dvsink-command* is a single dv
    stream, just like all the others. *ffmpeg2theora* is going to need a
    lot of CPU. Exactly how much depends on the stream you create. For
    anything with text I prefer to keep the full resolution and drop the
    fps, even if it starts getting choppy. The above command maxes out a
    P4-1.7ghz

So I think we need a dual core system, whre one core will just be the
Theora compression (to send off to icecast). The other core is the
primary video frame grabbing. Indeed, it would be nice if we were quad
core, becuase then we'd have some spare cores to do some effects on (and
have murmur/mumble nicely out the way).

I'll add tonight's rendez-vous at Artifactory to the PLUG calendar give
you guys (Nick and Tim) are confirmed going? Anyone else available?

Mobile: +61 422 166 708, Email: james_AT_rcpt.to