[PLUG-AV] [plug] PLUG AV Project needs an 'old loaner box'

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Wed Apr 6 12:27:37 WST 2011

On 6/04/2011 7:44 AM, home at oranges.id.au wrote:
> On 21 March 2011 12:58, Tim Bowden <tim.bowden at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Does anyone have an old box not being used?  Are there any 'corporate
> I know this is late in the piece, but we're disposing of oldies and I
> reckon I could supply a complete machine:
> Quiet black Antec case :-) motherboard with 1" fan :-(
> Athlon XP64 3500+ (I think that's what the CPU is called)
> 1GB RAM
> 160GB SATA disk
> Probably a GeForce 5200 graphics
> I have installed one of these as my MythTV FE/BE, pretty happy except
> for the power consumption and sometimes noisy 1" fan.
>
> Busyness factor is pretty high right now, so I'd ask someone to come
> pick it up from Jolimont. Let me know if you want it.

Right now I think we'll scrummage through anything; I can swing past
later this afternoon, if that's suitable. What's the address?

Box #2 that I picked up on Monday is a 900 MHz Celeron, with no ethernet
card; I don't have a spare NIC right now so its ground to a halt. Box #1
that I picked up I have called /av3/ as we already have /av1/ and /av2/
sitting at Artifactory with Firewire cards installed.

Given that we have found instability in having more than one DV camera
plugged into a single host, and we have three AV sources (twinpact, two
cameras) then perhaps with the addition of one of the last boxes either
from Greg (thanks) or the pieces from Brad (needing case & PSU) then
there's a chance we can light up all three sources and DVswitch &
encoding on a fourth machine.

Outstanding items I think we need by Tuesday:
* one more tripod (I think Nick, you have one).
* two screens, as I have two screens here donated; while it would be
nice to operate headless, since Mumble needs a GUI (grrr). Preferable
LCD (light and small)
* an Ethernet switch (100 mbit fine for next week, but needs to have at
least 5 ports) and cable
* Power Boards - we have at Patrick Coleman's mums house if we can grab
some (I'm already talking to Patrick about this). Probably one power
board per Av unit (screen, keyboard, video camera, and one day we may
have a light or something)

We also need an uplink. Nick, can you liaise with UCC to get a patch an
and IP for us (assuming we can get the DVswitch box to have its IP in
UCC, and the rest of the Av boxes can be on a separate network)?

Mobile: +61 422 166 708, Email: james_AT_rcpt.to