[PLUG-AV] OK, so its gone midnight...

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Wed Apr 13 01:42:04 WST 2011

Hi all,
So, pretty good. We had some very thrilled people watching streams from
Katanning, Queensland (Tim), and other locations. I think we hit 5
unique IPs watching at one time, supplimenting the 13 people at the meeting.

We had one DV capture PC fail on us; was working when I turned it on
first time, but then it rebooted and died. Havent investigated further;
swapped it out. We only ended up with one camera on the night (mine) on
Jason's tripod. Twinpact worked brilliantly, but text was not readable
after it was half-scaled and encoded with the params we used.

We ended up having to use a UCC quad core machine to do the encoding. We
managed to borrow a 48 port gigabit switch for the transfer from UCC
(thanks to Bob, and fo rthe shell on the host to encode, and for the net
access on Loftnet. We also had to borrow powerboards/extn cables from
UCC, and patch leads.

As noted on the main PLUG list, we tried to use the line in feed from
the wireless mic reciever via the audio-out on the JVC camera when we
needed an audio in; this mean terrible audio for the first 20 minutes or
so. We also couldn't adjust the audio level of the lapel mic - it was
very quiet.

DVswitch itself worked well - Picture in Picture was very popular. We
switched audio sources and video streams pretty well, including the
pre-recorded video that I streamed out to people.

Time delay between live in the room and watching the stream come back
was 10+ seconds. Shame it was so laggy, but if you weren't in the room I
don't think it mattered.

Mumble - didn't get this set up in time on the DVswitch host.

All equipment is back at my place right now.

Next steps:

 1. identify what needs to be changed with current equipment (no spend)
    so we can do the next talk
 2. identify what equipment we would like to get
 3. get a grant proposal into Linux Australia for this

1. What to fix now
I'd start by getting mumble working, and checking the dead machine. We
need our own power boards - which Patrick was going to bring but he
didn't make it, Ethernet cable and switch. We also need to get a second
PAL DV camera available.

2. This is the hard part. Jason is suggesting 2nd hand Mac Books, for
around $400 - $500. Sure beats lugging 5 PCs up to UCC. Has built in
firewire, and an audio connection (was it head phones and mic input at
the same time)? As to tripods; I had a friend recommend a Sony Sony
VCT-60AV camcorder tripod for around $115 + PP - but thats got a remote
zoom control on the handle that works on Sony cameras.

The most worrying aspect is the very low availability of camcorders
these days with firewire.  Has live streaming from camcorders all but
disappeared?

3. We cant do this until we resolve what we' want to do in 2.

--
Mobile: +61 422 166 708, Email: james_AT_rcpt.to