[PLUG-AV] OK, so its gone midnight...

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Wed Apr 13 11:52:40 WST 2011

On 13/04/2011 10:34 AM, Jason Nicholls wrote:
>> We ended up having to use a UCC quad core machine to do the encoding. We
>> managed to borrow a 48 port gigabit switch for the transfer from UCC (thanks
>> to Bob, and fo rthe shell on the host to encode, and for the net access on
>> Loftnet. We also had to borrow powerboards/extn cables from UCC, and patch
>> leads.
> ffmpeg2theora only uses a single core so dual or quad core isn't going to matter
> too much. We'd need to go for something new with high speed - although perhaps
> there's something we can do to make use of multiple cores (i.e. something other
> than ffmpeg2theora).

Yeah, I think WebM/VP8 or x264 (despite patents) may be interesting to
experiment with. Either way, we don't want pesky operating system taking
any CPU away from encoding job(s). I say jobs, becuase we may want to
offer a high and low bit rate, so that's instantly 2 cores with current
encoder. Plus, like last night, we were serving video files up to
dvswitch locally (the ident static image, the PLUG video, and the other
fun videos) all of which take (a few, minor) cycles on top of dvswitch
reading these streams.

I've done a Dell quote (see other email) for a reasonably beefy box for
this purpose in a small form factor case (I'm didn't enjoy lugging 5 PCs
up to UCC last night, but thanks for the help brining everything down
again).

> I think the lapel levels were OK and I was able to amplify it slightly on my
> system before passing through to dvsource.

Good point. A powered mixer would hopefully give us the same possibility
per channel as well. I've looked at Amazon and I've not seen any that
have grabbed me. Anyone else got any input on audio. We definitely need
to work on this; its more important than images. A second wireless mic,
and a "room" mic are called for.

>> 1. What to fix now
>> I'd start by getting mumble working, and checking the dead machine. We need
>> our own power boards - which Patrick was going to bring but he didn't make
>> it, Ethernet cable and switch. We also need to get a second PAL DV camera
>> available.
> We need to make sure mumble doesn't chew CPU, on the camera box mumble
> was consuming 100% CPU and it wasn't even connected or doing anything. I
> didn't notice this until half way through the talk so hope it wasn't
> messing up the
> video (causing jitter/delay etc...)
I don't think it was causing any issues - the firewire grab is such low
CPU - (grab frame, spit out NIC). But yes, this is a minor second point.
I've not noticed high mumble usage when connected.

>> 2. This is the hard part. Jason is suggesting 2nd hand Mac Books, for around
>> $400 - $500. Sure beats lugging 5 PCs up to UCC. Has built in firewire, and
>> an audio connection (was it head phones and mic input at the same time)? As
>> to tripods; I had a friend recommend a Sony Sony VCT-60AV camcorder tripod
>> for around $115 + PP - but thats got a remote zoom control on the handle
>> that works on Sony cameras.
>>
>> The most worrying aspect is the very low availability of camcorders these
>> days with firewire.  Has live streaming from camcorders all but disappeared?
> I think we should make portability and ease of setting up / breaking down an
> important part of the project. Clearly lugging 5 PCs, keyboards, mice,
> power cables,
> monitors, etc... to each event and getting it all going is horrible.
> Also someone needs
> the space to house it all. A stack of laptops is so much easier with
> only their power
> cables and network needed. Any MacBook (std or pro) should do as they all have
> built-in firewire.
>
> With this in considering we're looking at:
>
> - 3x macbooks ~$400-600 ( 2nd hand, any generation as long as intel +
> firewire + linux works)
>   These would be for cameras and the screen capture device.
>
> - 1x higher end system (laptop) to run icecast, perform encoding, and recording
>   (this may need to be split, don't know the load ...). Perhaps 2 NICs
> (* see below).
>   Dell have a quad-core laptop from $999 (their quad-core desktops
> actually cost more
>   but that may be partially due to them bundling monitors in).
Well, given the comparative quote sans monitor, it still $13xx inc GST
for a desktop.

> - 1x wireless mic ~$200, same as we have so we can run 2 channels -
> main speaker lapel and
>   separate hand-held mike for host and question time.
>
> - audio mixing board, 2 inputs minimum (the 2 mics) but 4 would be a
> better option ~$100-300
Definitely 4.

> - 1x DV-thru Firewire capable PAL camera - hard to find anything new
> so no pricing estimate

Well, PLUG should get two cameras of its own.

> - 1x 8-port GigE switch. ~$50-100
>
> Total (max) estimate: 3x600 + 1000 + 200 + 300 + 100 + camera = $3,400 + camera
> Total (min) estimate: 3x400 + 1000 + 200 + 100 + 50 + camera = $2550 + camera
>

> * Thinking ahead I think it'd be nice if the camera and capture boxes
> came up and had
> known IPs (static). It may be nice to have the higher-end "head"
> system have 2 NICs
> with an uplink and private network for our boxes. Then we could write
> some scripts
> that automatically kick everything off on boot (assuming network and FW cables
> plugged in). Setup time/issues could be reduced this way.
Yes, all very good if we have our own switch and can run our own
ethernet cables; private network, our own DHCP server, internal DNS for
"mumble" and "dvswitch" host(s) - no need for NAT, keep it separated.
Indeed, run IPv6 internally and use link local?

Using the upper bound above, add two tripods at $200 each (should be
less) gives $3800, how much for two capable cameras? It's looking a
little difficult to still find cameras (new) with firewire/i.Link/1394;
I think we should be paying in the $100 - $500 range, not the $1000+, so
that puts i around $4800 for two, let's round to $5k?

Mobile: +61 422 166 708, Email: james_AT_rcpt.to