[PLUG-AV] AV networking.

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Wed Apr 20 12:05:08 WST 2011

Hi all,
I've been looking at our networking options. We were lucky last time
that we managed to borrow a gig switch from UCC, and clearly if we don't
manage to get a switch to a venue then this project falls apart pretty
quickly. I've been looking at Amazon again (!), but as normal, export
restrictions on electronics would mean bouncing through someone there.

I was looking at an 8 port unmanaged gig switch - which I think would be
perfect for a one room set up. I started to look at options closer to
home: what do you guys think of this DLink from Harris tech (who have
stock here in WA - others are back ordered it seems):
http://www.ht.com.au/cart/1/part/K8853-D-Link-DGS-1008D-switch-8-ports/detail.hts

Someone agree with me and I'll grab one.

In other news, the Panasonic camera for $50 - vendor is checking live
capture from firewire works, and I'll try and grab that early next week
before our Wednesday workshop.

I'm also having a hack on a multi-audio-source mixing console; possibly
using local (USB) sound cards (where you can plug in a heap of these),
but I'd want to also take audio from other sources (remote network
protocols, as supported by GStreamer?). Nothing to show yet though.

Mobile: +61 422 166 708, Email: james_AT_rcpt.to