[PLUG-AV] AV networking.

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Wed Apr 20 21:48:17 WST 2011

Hi all,
I have now made up some Ethernet cables for us from my roll of cat 5 I
have here:

  * 1 x 5 metre
  * 2 x 10 metre
  * 1 x 20 metre

I have a smaller patch cable as well around 1 metre. I don't know if we
want another 20, or a 30, or even a 40 m - but we can talk about this on
Wednesday and make up one cable pretty quickly. Obviously length
requirements will vary per venue, but I think sticking to some set
lengths may make things quicker - pace out the room, and then grab the
appropriate length knowing that its obviously too small or too long. I
would think the longest run is probably always going to be from the
TwinPact at the front of the room with the presenter going to the back
of the room where the vision is being switched.

In other news, we've had a donation - of a 16 port gig switch-
TL-SG1016!  Should be with us for Wednesday; I think that means we have
pretty much our own AV network ready to roll - suitable for connecting
Twinpact, two cameras, and the vision switching host.

Things that would be great to bring on Wednesday:

  * An old video graphics card (PCI or PCI-E x16), and an unused SATA or
    IDE hard drive to put with Brad's motherboard
  * Any other donated LCD screens - smaller the better - we have two
    right now
  * Any suitable microphones?? We only have the one right now

The Panasonic camera - no news beyond waiting to hear back after the
weekend.

Mobile: +61 422 166 708, Email: james_AT_rcpt.to