[PLUG-AV] Headsets

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Fri May 13 00:50:14 WST 2011

On 12/05/2011 6:32 PM, Harry McNally wrote:
> Not sure if you need any more headsets. Catch of the Day has:
> http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/smallfish_info.php?products_id=24910
> and
> http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/smallfish_info.php?products_id=26742

We have three head sets right now, and thus far we've not been able to
get audio in/out on each of our capture boxes working well enough to use
them! Jason managed to get the small form factor box (AV3 I think)
working well (except the USB mouse need to be unplugged and plugged back
in for some reason before it works). But the others seem to have all
kinds of problems to sort out.

Does anyone want to take one of the AV capture boxes home and play with
it to get it working? You can pick one up from me any time, so long as
we get them all to the next venue (IBM) in June.... Jason's going to
take the AV2 box (Brads AMD box) and play with that... but there are two
more boxes that could take someone looking at. Ideally they should all
fire up and log in as user "av" automatically into gnome; fire up mumble
and a terminal session (ready for the dbsource-firewire command)....

The issue we had with mumble on the AV3 was mumble shot to 100% CPU
usage, but I think that's fixed now (was a sound card issue).

We should also probably have another workshop day; however, I think we
should consider a Sunday, as squeezing this in on a weekday evening is a
little tight. We need to get a good set of procedures in place to get
equipment rolled out quickly on site.

 1. Work out where the cameras will be, and where the presenter will be
    (for the twinpact).
 2. Work out where the mix desk will be
 3. Work out the power feeds to the equipment
 4. Work out the connection from DVswitch host to internet (optional,
    only if we're streaming live) (via switch, or second interface on
    DVswitch host?)
 5. Work out the network runs to connect from cameras to switch
 6. Run power cables, tape to floor
 7. Run Ethernet cables, tape to floor
 8. Power everything on
 9. Get DVswitch running
10. Get video sources streaming to DVswitch
11. Get audio happening

People required:
* Camera operator x2
* DVswitch operator
* Audio mixer operator? Perhaps also pointing a directional mic the
right way as well for questions)
/* Lighting operator - one day? ;)/

So with our audio being one source right now, it SHOULD be set and
forget i the DVswitch operator can be listenign to the captured audio to
listen for static/interference/dead batteries. So we need three people
running the capture, with the DVswitch operator co-ordinating the
framing of the two cameras while switching vision - lets call it
"directing"!

--
/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2011: http//www.plug.org.au