[PLUG-AV] encoding talk atm & next workshop notes

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Wed Aug 10 11:03:05 WST 2011

I'm encoding the luakit talk with x264 like previous talks, this time it's
doing it at ~50fps thanks to the new quad-core CPU in AV2. Previously we'd
be between 5 and 10fps - so pretty massive step up :)

Also last night the system was doing nicely with only 2 CPUs loaded between
30-50% and the other 2 idle. It was a bit jumpy since I was also doing other
things like watching the stream in firefox or vlc etc... Overall much better
since the old box both CPUs were pretty much pegged the whole time (and it
only had 2 CPUs).

For the next workshop:

- figure out what happened to AV4, with the dead video
- document using the audio mixer, although we need to buy the following bits
first:
  large mono M jacks (left/right) to small stereo M jack (main out of mixer
-> computer)
  small mono F jack to large mono M jack (wireless mic -> mixer) (probably
best to get a couple of these)
  (optional) L & R large M jacks to small stereo F jack (control room out of
mixer -> for headphones)
- look at different options for ffmpeg2theora for live streaming, now we
have more CPU headroom we can play around to get better image / better
compression
- look at fitting a better vid card into AV2, atm the ancient card in there
only supports a single XV window so trying to run DV Switch and watch the
stream with VLC or mplayer results in horrible screen performance...

Jason Nicholls
jason at mindsocket.com.au
0430 314 857