[PLUG-AV] a bit of encouragement

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Sat Aug 13 12:16:11 WST 2011

On 13/08/2011 11:32 AM, Jason Nicholls wrote:
> Just a bit of encouragement, since releasing the Luakit video from
> Tuesday it's been downloaded 44 times by unique IPs:
> root at pot:/var/log/virtualmin# grep -i 'Luakit-mason.mp4'
> plug.org.au_access_log | awk '{ print $1}' | sort | uniq | wc -l
> 44
> I think that's pretty good!

That's great. Well done all, especially Jason who mixed on the night and
took the time to encode and upload the video after the fact.

I'm pleased the XLR mic worked well this time. We did miss all the
questions from the audience - I hadn't planned on passing it around and
the cable was behind some obstacles. /*Shall we plan to pass around the
wired mic next month?*/

The banner looked good this month, but was mostly too far beside the
speaker to get in shot. Looked great in the room, but I suspect we need
to think again about the background for the speaker. /*Ideas**people**?*/

We need some serious practice at camera work - particularly framing, and
coordination between mixing desk and camera ops (ie, the mumble aspect I
keep going on about). I grabbed the cam at the back of the room on
Tuesday and took us to a tight (close) shot of Mason which framed up
nicely, especially when it was shrunk into a Picture-in-picture window.
Keeping the camera wide may seem natural when you're in the room, but
when all you can see is whats on screen, its a different matter. That's
why I put the mixing desk at the rear of the room; if you can't see or
hear it using the screen and headphones, then neither can the people
watching (whereas, if you overhear the person at the front then you may
not notice that its dead on the stream!).

Next month I'd like to get an extra PC if we can, running dvsink to a
full screen display for the presenter to see -- what's called a
"confidence screen". /*Anyone got anything to use?*/

*Lastly, we need more people turning up and getting involved! *Between
running network cables, testing connectivity, running and connecting
power, connecting cameras, running audio cables, there's a lot to do in
45 minutes or so between having access to the venue and starting the stream.

/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2011: http://www.plug.org.au <http//www.plug.org.au>