[PLUG-AV] rusty talk downloads

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Tue Oct 18 09:59:41 WST 2011

> Still, I think it makes sense to be keeping user within the PLUG site,
> instead of somewhere else. (It's hard enough maintaining one location, let
> alone the extras like facebook). In my general browsing (as a Linux user who
> has trouble with flash), I find it lots easier to watch Vimeo videos that
> Youtube, and in generally find the quality much better. Yes, youtube has
> high def, but it's low def stuff is still not great. And yes, youtube does
> now support more HTML5 standards, but in my testing of this (the non-flash
> player stuff), it's been pretty poor.

> These are all from personal experiences. I find I like the Vimeo player
> better, it looks more professional (it's not immediately obvious that you
> have embedded a video, unlike youtube that makes it much more obvious).
>
> Anyway, that's my opinion. Maybe we should try a test upload on both, see
> what it looks like embedded in the plug website, and make the judgement from
> there?

AFAIK youtube quality is good and I've been uploading to both youtube and
vimeo. It helps to upload at resolutions that they prefer and start with
good video of course :)

The point of having it up there is to increase viewing outside of PLUG
mailing list subscribers, not to divert regular PLUGers to youtube/vimeo (we
can just embed on our website for that - and still offer the files for
download). And with that in mind I think youtube has a broader viewership
than vimeo so my preference is there. The only issue being the 15min time
limit but it sounds like that can be solved - I will look into it.

Jason Nicholls
jason at mindsocket.com.au
0430 314 857