[PLUG-AV] Spending the Grant: Mumble session, tomorrow, 7:30pm.

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Tue Mar 20 22:50:47 WST 2012

On 20/03/2012 11:27 AM, Jason Nicholls wrote:

>     *Laptops*
>     We've been looking at Laptops with both ExpressCard and USB3, and
>     that's lead us to the Dell Vostro 3550. I've had a slew of issues
>     with Dell's I've used before, and other comments about
>     ExpressCards "popping out" unexpectedly may be an issue. DO we
>     want to keep the USB3 requirement for future expansion, or do we
>     want to drop back to a laptop with on-board firewire? What about
>     another vendor?
>

> Interesting the 3450 (my original suggestion) includes an ExpressCard
> again in the list of specs. It did, then didn't and has it again
> now... USB3 is becoming less of a restriction as pretty much anything
> recent has it now, however FW is the killer and ExpressCard tends to
> only be on the larger laptops.
>
> Carl's suggestion of the Lenovo T400 series is good except the current
> T420 has an optional FW connector as AFAIK none of the models on offer
> in Australia have it. However it does have USB3 + ExpressCard -
> starting at just over $1050. However, the 15" model - the T520 - seems
> to have FW as standard and it starts from $1200.

Our budget line for these was $848.99. Current Dell quote comes in at
$788.59, plus three cases/bags at $39.01 makes a total of $2,482.79.

http://ecomm.apj.dell.com/dellstore/basket_retrieve.aspx?c=au&cs=aubsd1&l=en&s=bsd&itemtype=CFG&cart_id=1010847135199&toEmail=james@rcpt.to
<http://ecomm.apj.dell.com/dellstore/basket_retrieve.aspx?c=au&cs=aubsd1&l=en&s=bsd&itemtype=CFG&cart_id=1010847135199&toEmail=james@rcpt.to>

I think we can cover putting these three through now at that pricing.
Lead time around 17 days. We can come back for the 3750 to replace the
current AV2 after LotteryWest refund us on the invoice.

I suspect that the $1200 for a Thinkpad T520 being some $350 more (50%
more) than the Vostros may be an issue.

Please review the spec above and compare to what else you can find. By
that, I mean a full specification, ready-to-buy complete and exact model
number and quote, not just "A mac"! Obviously the above also requires us
to source 3 ExpressCard firewire units from somewhere (Dell wont do them).

Talk to you on Wednesday evening at 7:30pm WST on mumble.

/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2012: http://www.plug.org.au <http//www.plug.org.au>