[PLUG-AV] Spending the Grant: Mumble session, tomorrow, 7:30pm.

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Wed Mar 21 09:59:50 WST 2012

On 21/03/2012 9:27 AM, James Bromberger wrote:
> On 20/03/2012 10:50 PM, James Bromberger wrote:
>> On 20/03/2012 11:27 AM, Jason Nicholls wrote:
>>>
>>>     *Laptops*
>>>     We've been looking at Laptops with both ExpressCard and USB3,
>>>     and that's lead us to the Dell Vostro 3550. I've had a slew of
>>>     issues with Dell's I've used before, and other comments about
>>>     ExpressCards "popping out" unexpectedly may be an issue. DO we
>>>     want to keep the USB3 requirement for future expansion, or do we
>>>     want to drop back to a laptop with on-board firewire? What about
>>>     another vendor?
>>>

>>> Interesting the 3450 (my original suggestion) includes an
>>> ExpressCard again in the list of specs. It did, then didn't and has
>>> it again now... USB3 is becoming less of a restriction as pretty
>>> much anything recent has it now, however FW is the killer and
>>> ExpressCard tends to only be on the larger laptops.
>>>
>>> Carl's suggestion of the Lenovo T400 series is good except the
>>> current T420 has an optional FW connector as AFAIK none of the
>>> models on offer in Australia have it. However it does have USB3 +
>>> ExpressCard - starting at just over $1050. However, the 15" model -
>>> the T520 - seems to have FW as standard and it starts from $1200.
>>>

>> Our budget line for these was $848.99. Current Dell quote comes in at
>> $788.59, plus three cases/bags at $39.01 makes a total of $2,482.79.
>>
>> http://ecomm.apj.dell.com/dellstore/basket_retrieve.aspx?c=au&cs=aubsd1&l=en&s=bsd&itemtype=CFG&cart_id=1010847135199&toEmail=james@rcpt.to
>> <http://ecomm.apj.dell.com/dellstore/basket_retrieve.aspx?c=au&cs=aubsd1&l=en&s=bsd&itemtype=CFG&cart_id=1010847135199&toEmail=james@rcpt.to>
>
> I've also spoken to Dell today hope to get a non-profit association
> pricing for this above. Note: the above configuration has 3 GB of RAM
> in each host, but is otherwise base model for the three "video ingest"
> machines. Please check the spec above and raise any concerns now. I
> should have an updated price (or offering) from Dell by noon WST.
> p://lists.plug.org.au/mailman/listinfo/av

Dell have now priced this all at *$2,277.00* inc GST (non-profit assoc.
pricing), down from $2482.79, so we have *saved $205.79*. Makes it *$759
inc GST per machine* with the case, and is $89.99 under our budget per
system - but we have yet to get the firewire express cards (around $15
-$25 each). I have the Dell quote so our next step, if we agree this is
the best step forward, is to direct deposit funds with the quote number
and then I can confirm the order with Dell (then we get a invoice &
receipt, send to LotteryWest, and wait...).

/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2012: http://www.plug.org.au <http//www.plug.org.au>