[PLUG-AV] New capture/ingest laptop status

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Sat Apr 7 19:32:34 WST 2012

On 6/04/2012 6:38 PM, Tim White wrote:
> On 06/04/12 11:35, James Bromberger wrote:
>>
>> * Auto login GDM as the "av" user, and launch mumble
> apt-get install nodm
>
> Description-en: automatic display manager
> This package prepares the system to automatically start an X session at
> system boot. It is meant for devices like smartphones, but can be used on
> a regular computer as well, if the security implications are acceptable.

Interesting option. I've completed the rest of my todo list right now
keeping GDM as is. All machines appear to be working fine. because of
the limitation of only receiving 2 of the 3 ExpressCards, we have 2
ingest machines usable for this Tuesday. Each one days around 700
seconds to install from local mirror (I suspect the bottleneck is the
Atom CPU host or USB hard disk that's serving the local mirror).

It also means we have two machines we can now dispose of from the pool
of desktop PCs we've been using. I think PLUG should hang on to the
firewire cards we've purchased, but the rest of screen + keyboard +
mouse + box can go - especially the one that's been failing us. Anyone
want to take two of them - please respond ASAP and I'll bring them on
Tuesday (I'll offer on the main PLUG list if no one here on AV responds
within a day). I'm keen to offload the space taken by this.

The firewire cards we can slide all into AV2 if we want, and it can
become a multi-camera capture host?? *shrug* I have a 5 metre firewire
cable we can play with as well if we want to...

--
/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2012: http://www.plug.org.au <http//www.plug.org.au>