[PLUG-AV] Video Tuesday: helpers at 5pm @ CWLH

Euan de Kock euan at dekock.net
Sat Jun 9 11:13:45 WST 2012

Hi James,

The device I'm bringing is an EMU 0204, basically it's a high spec input
unit (capable of 19.2K sampling) with 2 analog inputs capable of
receiving Mic (normal or condenser), Line In, or DI (Guitar etc).

It connects directly to the laptop using USB, and is visible as an
additional USB audio source, so there is no requirement for the laptop
to have any native audio hardware.

The main reason for this, is that the device allows me to monitor the
audio after it has been digitised, so what I am hearing is exactly what
we are recording, there is no further level translations being done.
Last time around, as we had connected the room's in-house audio to the
mixer we had to reroute the headphones to the control room channel on
the mixer, so what was being recorded was so far removed from what was
being monitored that we where effectively flying blind - hence the
rather crappy audio track during that recording.

I was unaware of the other issue with the new laptops, but I'm glad to
have a solution that resolves that too.

Regards,

Euan.