[PLUG-AV] Perth Startup Weekend

Euan de Kock euan at dekock.net
Thu Sep 6 23:12:47 WST 2012

Hi Guys,

Ok, we're all set to go for the Perth Startup Weekend. I thought I'd
just mail out a general status update so we all have the same understanding.

So far Luke has dropped off the kit he was storing at SpaceCubed. The
people at SpaceCubed are aware of our stuff being there.

We are planning on doing two nights: Friday and Sunday.

On Friday (Tomorrow) we plan to record/stream the bidding process. Based
on the current schedule they have on their site this will be starting at
8:00pm. We'll obviously need to get in earlier to get all set up.

I've had email comms, and have spoken with Sam Birmingham regarding the
layout, and it looks like the presentation and pitches process will be
occurring facing the new Cityscape animated projection feature. They
plan to have a projection screen setup to the right of this. (Last night
they just had a big TV there, so that may be the display they use - in
which case it is quite important we get the Twinpact in there as we
won't get much through the cameras.) The carpeted areas to the either
side of this central section will be the workstation areas.

We may be sharing the central area with the dinner/refreshment
arrangement, but I'm not too sure about this, we'll have to handle this
on the night.

The pitching process is going to feature many people making very quick
presentations - generally without any visual aids. I am recommending we
configure a wired boom microphone as this will ensure we get a
consistent placement of the pitchers and have some control of the sound.
We'll wire in the wireless mic too so we can roam if needed. We'll
probably not setup the headset mic as it's risky with fast changeovers
that it might get broken - it's one of our most expensive pieces of kit.

It might be nice to show the presenter picture in picture with a pan of
the other participants so we can show how the pitch is being received.

As far as I am aware, Luke, Nick and myself are definites for Friday,
with Leon a maybe. It would be good to see you Leon if you are
available. Nick I understand you will bring the extra kit along tomorrow
sometime. If you need a hand please call me as I'm in Bankwest tower and
can easily pop over to Spacecubed.I'll try and have the Mixer, extra
Mic, Boom stand and soem XLR cables etc. I'll also pack a soldering
iron/cutters etc so we can rewire stuff if we need to.

We will try and wire our stuff into the PA system too, or alternatively
just have 2 microphones tied together.

For Sunday, we plan on recording the Judging and Awards ceremony which
runs from 7:30pm on Sunday. I think Luke, Nick, Leon, Jason and myself
are all OK for Sunday, so this is good. I'm not going to make any firm
commitments around what we do on Sunday as I suspect the process will
actually be quite fluid and we'll have a better idea after Fridays
session on how things will unfold.

As far as contact people, Sam Birmingham is one of the organisers, and
should be at Spacecubed all day tomorrow. Brodie McCulloch is the main
man at Spacecubed, and Darcy Laycock has been our email contact during
the setup of this process. I think James will be lurking around a lot
too in his capacity as an Amazonian sponsor, so should also be a good
source of info if we need anything.

I'm looking forward to this, it should be a pretty exciting session and
good to be involved in.

See you all tomorrow,

Regards,

Euan.