[PLUG-AV] good stuff getting the video uploaded :)

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Dec 12 15:31:18 WST 2012

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 09:45:46AM +0800, Jason Nicholls wrote:
> Thanks Nick for re-encoding and uploading the video.
>
> BTW I think we could improve our video descriptions and tagging which would
> help people discover our videos.
>
> For this one James do you think you could write a bit more of a
> comprehensive description? e.g. including some of the AWS buzz words people
> might be interested in?

No worries!

There's definitely improvements that could be had. (got the
http://www.youtube.com/user/PerthLinuxUsersGroup ?) Of course anyone
should go right ahead and make comments that could be rolled into an
updated description/title/tags. I did a couple of times with Startup
Weekend videos, there is the matter of the decaying interest where we
have the most enthusiasm as it's streaming and in the first day it goes
up.

I can't actually see the tags on the final page, e.g.:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-BPVYu_wTM
...but they're there in the editing interface, for example the buzzword
"ec2". Searching the whole of youtube for tags we've used before didn't
seem to find much. The speech-to-text automatic captions are amusing.

What's the best way to scrape (or get from APIs) all the PLUG video
metadata off youtube? It'd be nice to keep a copy of that of our own,
or watch it for updates. It could go with the videos when we have a spot
of our own to put them online again.

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal