[PLUG-AV] Audio problems, OBS/voctomix/HDMI workflow upgrades

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Mar 25 13:47:59 AWST 2019

[Re: av at plug.org.au ]
On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 10:33:06AM +0800, Chris McCormick wrote:
> On 24/3/19 8:53 am, Nick Bannon wrote:
> >   * AV streaming: Gotta make the call sometime: keep our current gear
> >     limping, or invest time and fundraising effort into setting up a new
> >     workflow: https://debconf-video-team.pages.debian.net/docs/
>
> It is so cool that you guys make the effort to record the talks. Many
> meetups don't do this. It was so nice to have something I could share after
> I gave a talk last year - thank you!

Cheers! We'd love to have a minimum quality standard on
streaming/recording, it's a thank you to speakers like you, for a start.

Hasn't been easy though, we haven't made much progress in streamlining
the setup/teardown recently, so when problems show up like "that audio
really isn't coming through as it should be" we've run out of time,
pre-talk, to get it diagnosed - clear speaker audio really is a must.

> I don't know what you guys are using but I've used OBS on Ubuntu to
> screencast and record and it can take webcam input and audio input too -
> could be an alternative?
>
> Cheers, > Chris.  > --
> https://mccormick.cx/
> My tech development newsletter:
> https://mccormick.cx/subscribe

The overview is here:
https://www.plug.org.au/projects/video/

...and there's been a couple of presentations about it for PLUG and for
when it was in use for linux.conf.au and debconfs past .

The audio setup is a traditional "hardware" mixing desk which is giving
us trouble again and we could probably use some software monitoring so
we know immediately when something's wrong (levels? clipping? bad SNR?):

  * one speaker label mike;
    * PROBLEM @2019-03-12: producing static? bad levels?

  * one audience mike to pass around;

  * boundary mike for panel discussions;

  * USB sound capture to send to the master AV mixer computer;
    * PROBLEM @2019-03-12: not ingesting?

  * fallback sometimes to camera mikes for "room" audio.

Once we fix the audio...

OBS could be a solution, or the new HDMI capture+voctomix workflow that
debconf/LCA/CCC uses these days. Either will take a bit of setup, though!

https://obsproject.com/
https://debconf-video-team.pages.debian.net/docs/

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal