[PLUG-AV] Another experiment in updating our AV workflow

James Henstridge james at jamesh.id.au
Mon May 17 16:00:17 AWST 2021

On Mon, 17 May 2021 at 14:16, Harry McNally
<harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au> wrote:

> Hi James
>
> I wasn't able to stay on Sunday to hear what steps are needed next for the RPi4.
>
> Now that the talks have an interim one-crate system, is your work on RTSP
> services RPi-ready so the next meetup can try the architecture out ?
>
> I could research those USB-powered mixers to see if an "audio" RPi with an
> attached mixer is feasible. That would replace the USB audio device I proposed.
>
> If there is a list of what packages are needed on top of the latest Raspbian
> (lite or desktop ?) I'd prefer to bring a prepared RPi ready for integration
> testing.
>
> I understand now that Nick's network design needs to be the Swiss-Army-Router
> for all networking situations. That is a project in its own right. Just
> wondering, Nick, if PLUG needs to buy a specific wireless router so you have
> the flexibility for all the expected network situations; and so network is a
> single box solution.
>
> It would be wonderful if RPis could mean a single crate (or several backpacks)
> becomes the Aladdin's Cave for a multi-camera event :-)

I haven't done much work on that code base since March.  The last
thing I was working on was to try and simplify the configuration
process so you wouldn't have to write GStreamer pipelines in the
general case: instead, you could tell it that you want to use a
particular camera at a particular resolution and framerate, and have
it figure the rest out.  With that said, I believe the code should
still function as is.

I haven't really investigated sending audio yet.  You can definitely
transmit audio with RTSP/RTP, so it would probably just work with an
appropriate pipeline.  I hadn't really investigated much further
though, since our use of wireless microphones reduces the need for
remote audio: we could just plug the audio mixer directly into the
machine running OBS Studio.

James.