[PLUG-AV] [Karoke] Mixer (was: Another experiment in updating our AV workflow)

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Tue Jun 8 22:10:20 AWST 2021

Hello AVians

Discussing mixers with Nick B tonight, he found an Ali $80 two wireless
microphone / mixer but the microphones share a channel so it is not possible
to mute speaker or audience mic independently.

The next logical option was two of the USB mixers; one on each of two nodes.
If the mixer radios can be selected to different channels then problem solved.

Would PLUG Committee stretch to buying one each of the $26 and $80 mixers
simply for evaluation and then later purchases to create nodes ?

I suggested to Nick that this sort of money (and RPis) could pretty much be
self-funded and no need for Lotteries grants (unless you want a new powerful
master laptop).

I wondered to Nick if the nodes actually needed a laptop rather than a pi so
they can work as autonomous broadcast nodes. Nick:"Not necessarily, if the Pi
starts and configures automatically."

Thinks I on the way home, how about a hilariously old school Bluetooth tty on
the Pi and little two letter commands to view status and adjust the Pi with a
Bluetooth terminal on a mobile phone ?

$ st

Pi is networked blah blah
Pi has two audio streams blah blah
Pi has one video stream blah blah

and commands to adjust the available streams, select network, etc. Select from
a numbered list of options.

Event broadcast is a handful of small pieces and operator's mobile.

All the best
Harry