[PLUG-AV] Progress on UberTally, Re: Tally SN0002 and SN0003 complete

Euan de Kock euan at dekock.net
Sun Jul 10 14:56:35 AWST 2022

Hi Harry,

Sorry for the late response to this. I have looked everywhere, and I cannot
find the source code for the original tally lights I built. They weren't
too complicated though. It used the excellent V-USB library (
https://www.obdev.at/products/vusb/index.html) to emulate the USB hardware
and acted as a MIDI device with different notes mapped to each LED.

I chose MIDI as there is good support for it in Linux natively and it's
probably even easier than a serial port to manage - see the amidi command
line tool. Just send a NoteON, note to turn on a LED and NoteOFF, note to
turn it off.

Out of interest, my current favourite MCU is the ESP32 series, I've mainly
been working on the older ones, but I've just ordered a new one to test out
- https://www.seeedstudio.com/seeed-xiao-esp32c3-p-5431.html it's based on
the open source RISC-V architecture, and is pretty powerful with built in
WiFi and Bluetooth. At $5 it's a lot of bang for your buck.

Regards,

Euan.