[off-topic] Cutting raised floor tiles

Gavin Chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 20:05:59 WST 2011

On 14/12/11 18:46, Russell Steicke wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 16:56, Garry<garbuck at westnet.com.au>  wrote:
>> On 14/12/11 16:45, Russell Steicke wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have to get a single raised floor tile cut in half for cabling.
>> A jigsaw with a metal bit?
>>
>> Depends on the thickness and if you can live with the edge..
>>
>> Or use a wood circular saw, very carefully setting the cut depth to avoid
>> the metal.
>> Then finish the cut with the jigsaw (above) or a dremel.
> Well, I don't have the tools or a place to do that, or really the time
> to spend doing it.  I was hoping to drop it somewhere while out doing
> other things and pick it up the next day.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

Probably too late for a solution ... I teach metalwork and woodwork, so
this type of problem is right up my alley ;-) The composite nature of
the tile does present a problem for normal trades, but if prepared to
think outside the box, I would have cut it with a circular saw fitted
with a tungsten carbide blade for cutting sheet metal. It will cut
through the wood in the same cut as the sheetmetal with minimum burning
due to heat generated in the metal. If you don't already have the saw
and the blade you're having to face big costs (~$200) to equip yourself
for this one cut :-(

Gavin.