[off-topic] If you are thinking of booting from SSD...

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Sat Jun 23 19:39:27 WST 2012

On 06/23/12 17:24, Leon Wright wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Jim Householder <nofixed at westnet.com.au> wrote:
>> On 06/22/12 21:57, Jim Householder wrote:
>>>
>>> For those of you with dual-boot systems with MS, beware.
>>> I just got a 120GB Silicon Power SSD, and find that Win7 does not
>>> recognise it for installation.
>>>
>>> I used clonezilla to copy the Windows 7 partition to the new SSD but due
>>> to complicating factors like drive geometry, etc.etc. it would not boot.
>>>   I tried to use a Windows Backup System Image, but restore said no
>>> drive available.
>>

>> I used both partclone and sector-by-sector copy.  I suspect that both gave
>> me good copies.  I also ran partclone.ntfsfixboot which gave no errors.
>>
>> The problem appears to be that Windows 7 does not recognise the device as a
>> disk drive, and will not use it.
>
> I'd be surprised if it's a driver issue. You can pretty much just dump
> the files on an NTFS partition and as long as the MBR is correct (or
> grub etc) it should boot. Getting the MBR correct can be a mission in
> frustration. How does grub etc call windows boot?

Same as it always has:

Title Windows
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

It gets me a MS text screen telling me that

Windows failed to start.  A recent hardware or software change might be
the cause.  To fix the problem:
1.  Insert your windows installation disc...

So grub is successful, but the Windows loader is not.

How does this relate to a genuine Windows installation disc not
recognising the drive?