[off-topic] Libreoffice without wild eyed, shaggy haired babbling open source maniacs

Garry garbuck at westnet.com.au
Tue Feb 19 07:04:33 UTC 2013

For those who may have missed it there is an article by David Frith in
The Australian newspaper, page 32 of the Exectech section of AustralianIT.

Titled "LibreOffice giving Microsoft a run for its money", he gives a
bit of history of LO but manages to have a swipe at the Open Source
movement along the way...

David Frith, for those not familiar with him he could perhaps be called
a clean cut wild eyed babbling Apple sycophant. He usually writes most
attentively about the latest Cupertino rumour.

I don't think I would call it entirely positive as he complains of some
difficulty with Microsoft's Office importing a .docx document produced
in LO, something that may not even be LO's fault..

It would have been nice if he had suggested moving out of the MS
ecosystem entirely, as he says LO is "a pretty good office suite"
without all the bells and whistles of MS Office, "but it would answer
most people's needs". It would also have been nice if he had explored
the features of LO that aren't included in MS Office.

For the record I have a MacBook Air running OSx with LibreOffice. I
really like the hardware and have been seduced by the OSx gestures and
appreciate the Unixy underpinnings.. The mere thought of putting MS
Office on it makes me feel dirty.

Anyway, for those who call themselves Libreoffice fans, it copped a run
in a nation wide paper today..

Garry