[off-topic] Satellite latency problems

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Thu Jun 27 13:55:03 UTC 2013

Hi,

Since migrating to iinet's NBN satellite service I have had a lot of
problems with web pages not displaying properly as a result of the
proper character encoding not being used.  The problem has occurred with
several browsers, including Firefox, Konqueror, and IE8.

Most pages come good with a manual selection of encoding or a page
refresh, but the Scientific American site just refused to work.

Today I took my computer to the Tambellup CRC and connected to their
wired network.  Lo and Behold!  SciAm worked perfectly.

Ping time on my satellite connection is a minimum of 600ms.  I strongly
suspect that page formatting is stuffed because the data needed is sent
as a separate module and not received in time.

Short of changing back to the Westnet plan I had before which worked
most of the time, can anything be done?

As a satellite user with such long ping time, it really takes a long
time to load some pages due to the massive number of small bits and
pieces sent.  Very annoying.  I know some bits need to be sent
separately due to copyright issues, but surely pages can be delivered
more efficiently.

Regards,
Jim