[plug] Q:Disable Monitor Turning Off

The Thought Assassin assassin at sleepless.south.networx.net.au
Wed Aug 5 16:18:46 WST 1998

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Gavin Tweedie wrote:
> Speaking of linux journal, any newsagents in perth stock it? i havnt had
> any luck finding any yet.
I've seen it in the newsagents in Garden City a few times, and once in a
newsagent in the city, but really, if you have the time to read it, I'd
recommend subscribing to LJ to just about anyone. Imagine a computing
magazine where 2/3 of the contents are articles you want to read from
start to finish. Never thought I'd see the day, but yep, LJ delivers.
Like GNU/Linux software itself, most of the content is actually donated by
people using the system in real-life situations, often chronicling the
experiences thay have had using the software they are discussing on their
own systems. The thing is chock-full of real, working code examples.
There are the usual product reviews, but they are actually based on
factual, in-depth information from a knowledgeable reviewer, and I've yet
to see an ad for the product on the opposing page. Surprisingly, even some
of the ads are fairly cool. As you may have noticed, I have nothing but
praise for LJ. To be successful in a genre where so much high-quality,
up-to-date information is available online for free, you have to be doing
something right.

> Real Life: also known as "that big room with the ceiling that is sometimes
>                           blue and sometimes black with little lights"
Don't fool yourself. That's just painted onto the back of your window.
Real Life is only accessible through a TCP/IP-based medium.

-Greg