[plug] Log monitoring, nasty crackers

Terry Porter tp at gronk.apana.org.au
Wed Aug 5 20:31:43 WST 1998

Hi all,
      Firstly this is aimed at the non isp contingent among us.

	All you good folks DO monitor your logs when online don't you just
so you know who is trying to crack into your box, while your happily
surfing etc ? Or even when friends with accounts on your system, or others
who have seen the Freeciv server you were testing, log in, or connect to
one of the MANY ports on your box.

 What you **don't***!. Linux is a crackers paradise, lots of goodies on
YOUR box, its not win-doze you know!

      May I recommend "Xlogmaster", this X app, is at a nice stable stage
at the moment, and is perfect for the above.

      Xlogmaster can create pop-ups on triggers ie " connect refused from
nasty_cracker.crack.com" etc and they pop up in whatever virtual desktop
you happen to be in at the time!

      Other options are , raise, lower, hide,alert,notice,uniconify, and
execute a program as a result "trace-route nasty cracker? nuke nasty
cracker - just kidding :-)"

      Search for Xlogmaster on www.slashdot.net, you'll also need to
install GTK+-1.0.5 if you don't have it, its a piece of cake to install.
you can find it at www.gtk.org, 1.0.5 is the current stable release.

      I'm currently running Xlogmaster 1.4.2-pre alpha, but the currently
avail ver is 1.4.1, and 1.4.2 will be out in a few days.

      Its all tar-balls, at this stage , so if you don't know what to do,
or have other queries post here!

      terry