[plug] Name Registration.

The Thought Assassin assassin at citynet.net.au
Wed Aug 12 16:48:02 WST 1998

> Part of the application process is the creation of a set of
> binding that dictate who does what and how plug will be "run".  I would like
> comments on these rules.  You can read the rules at:
> http://www.cantech.net.au/plug/Rules.htm
> They are very straight forward.  I need to move on the application (I intend
> to have the application into the Min. of FT within 14 days, so if you feel
> you'd like to make comments please do so.

How much of this is required, and how much of this is suggested?
I would have to admit that I am terrible at things beaurocratic (Red tape
gives me a rash and recurring headaches, not to mention persecution complexes)
but I am sure that a lot of this is not really necessary in our case?

A person who wishes to become a member shall:
G> Write his name on the "List of members" described below"

Subscriptions of members of Association
G> Do we need this section? Do we ever intend to have a "subscription" fee?
G> A library fee, perhaps, though I think I favour a deposit, maybe a fee
G> for mailing a newsletter if that happens, but I can't envisage a need for a
G> general subscription fee.

Expulsion of members of Association
G> since membership does not confer any power, I doubt we need this clause.

It gets worse from there folks:)
It seems like the aim of the document is to organise distribution of power,
whereas our needs are probably more along the lines of distributing
responsibility(A la talkd, nntpd, httpd, ld), in leiu of any power actually
existing.
I also think it is aimed at an association somewhat larger than ours.
A quorom of 30 members, for example is a bit excessive.
We would also be hard-pressed to find a commitee of eight, IMHO.
Do we need to have seperate Chair, Treasurer, Secretary, etc?
(Or should I say schedule(), $_, and syslogd)
It might be better if we could get one person to do all of these things,
since they are all likely to very light loads. Obviously a
vice-three-headed-monster would also be needed.  Hmm, 3HMs.....
Points to whoever can think of the obvious name for such a position.

Obviously all of that would be subject to what is actually required of us,
so the only actual useful thing I have to say is:

The objects of the Association are-
to educate interested parties about the features of the Linux computer
operating system.
G> Probably also "facilitating discussion" or whatever.
G> Some mention of maintaining shared resources?

Sorry to bring everyone down by mentioning such things:)

-Greg