[plug] Computers, Linux and a Sense of Community

Christian cpayne at q-net.net.au
Fri Aug 14 11:43:09 WST 1998

Firstly apologies to everyone who's already read the article or who
deliberately skipped over it but there's a link on slashdot atm pointing
to an article which describes what we all know as being one of the best
properties of Linux and pretty much all Free software - a genuine sense of
community.

For the web-impaired amongst us (I know someone complained they find it
difficult to get onto the web recently), here's an excerpt which sums it
up quite well:

"I started out writing about computers and ended up talking about
neighbors helping each other. And that's exactly my point: that Linux
encourages neighborliness in a way no commercial operating system ever
will, and this makes it "better" than other software in a way that
transcends either technological or business concerns."

It also mentions the role of LUGs in this and hence might be worthy of a
link on the PLUG homepage.  Might also be of interest to people who are
thinking about *upgrading* to Linux from Win95. ;)

Anyway the link is at
http://www.andovernews.com/cgi-bin/news_column.pl?118

Regards,

Christian.