[plug] dump: master/slave protocol botched ?

Peter Robinson ribbo at iinet.net.au
Tue Aug 25 23:42:41 WST 1998

> If only one machine's involved, does dump/restore have any advantage over
> cp -a
> ?
>
> For copying from one machine to another I've seen something like this
> suggested (but I've not tried it, and my memory isn't perfect)
> rsh remote.site tar -zcf- | tar -xzf-

The best way to mirror hard a hard drive is to use cpio -p (parse) which
allows you to copy all files, especially in the /dev directories where if
you use cp to copy certain devices they actually just produce infinate
crap rather than actually copy the file. Oh and there's some extra options
you can use. I think the best is, from memory, cpio -pcvdmu -P etc

Peter