[plug] PLUG the PLUG

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Tue Dec 1 12:24:03 WST 1998

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima wrote:
> > Also, some nice gents in the USA sent me a few Linux T-shirts (size very
> > large) and a RH 5.1 pack (CD _and_ frisbee) for making helpful
> > suggestions; if anyone else wants to wear a Linux T-shirt on the day and
> > don't have one of their own, I'll bring a couple.

> .... do you need any spare cash ... I wouln't mind one for keeps :)

There's a nice white RedHat one, but I think you'd be swimming in it.
(-:

> > I should have a brand new 16MB Banshee EvilQueen video card to try out
> > (on a WinChip 240 processor, sigh), and I'll bring my old P-75 if I can,
> > in case anybody forgets their machine. (-:

Yours for only about $250 retail, says the West. With the SGRAM (not
SDRAM), Realtime Distribution (http://realtime.smileys.net/) wholesale
them for about $300.

The next generation, so they say, will do 336 million texels/second (at
1024x768, 427 completely redrawn frames full of textures per second,
hold onto your hat!).

> B'stard ... I'm stuck with 1Mb piece'a'sh*t

I have lots of those, most of them VLB. If you can stand VLB, I can even
give you a 2MB piece to replace your 1MB. It's a pity that VLB cards
don't multi-head, otherwise you could collect a lot of screens and have
a decent composite resolution (say, 4096x3072x8, given 16 screens... and
a stack of motherboards to plug the cards into...).

I also have a 1MB PCI card which appears to also do PAL video, which
Nimrod actually threw away and replaced, rather than cleaning the dust
off!

--
The answer, I think, lies in explosives. It's been said that there
is no problem that cannot be solved by a suitable application of