[plug] Plug in the PLUG (is there a camera expert in the house?)

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Tue Dec 1 16:48:24 WST 1998

Matt Kemner wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Leon Brooks wrote:
>> I think it would be good to set up a local IRC server and link it to the
>> Web so those not present can be present, kind of.

> Further to this idea, I imagine we can whack up an irc between us on one
> of the machines at Global Warriors (most likely the gateway machine, as it
> will be the only one with an IP address)
> I'll make this machine dial into Networx, so I can assign it any IP
> address (probably 203.30.239.61 because that is free)
> so I thought perhaps we could decide on a name (eg
> irc.plug.linux.org.au) now, and get Gary to add that to the linux.org.au
> DNS and I'll add it to mine, and make sure 203.30.239.61 will get assigned
> to the Global Warriors machine, as it dials in.

If the IP can be more or less permanently snarfed, how about something
like onsite.plug.linux.org.au or roving.* or live.* and virtual host it
while not actually roving.

Then we could "take" the IP to meetings with us, for non-attendees.

> and we could even get carried away and put up a webpage with photo
> updates (providing Leon can get his hands on that camera again :)

Doubtful, but I'll ask. If there's a camera expert in the house, I have
more-or-less full-time use of a slightly lower-res camera that's got
what appears to be an optical problem (it's usually badly out of focus).

--
The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to
choose from. -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum