[plug] PPP idle timeout problem

Andrew Howell andrew at avon.it.net.au
Tue Dec 1 21:50:17 WST 1998

On Tue, Dec 01, 1998 at 01:38:11PM +0000, Colin 't Hart wrote:
> Hi guys'n'gals,
>
> I have the same problem that I cannot determine the source of with two
> Linux boxes that I use.
> They both hangup after some time even though idle timeout is not
> specified in the /etc/ppp/options file.
>
> One is my home machine and is used to dial-in to our office. Our server
> is an NT RAS box with all timeouts disabled (including the nasty one
> that you can change using the System Policy Editor). All of my
> colleauges report being able to leave a modem dialed in for long
> periods, but mine will hangup if I leave it for about a half hour or so.
>
> The second machine is an old 486 that we use at work to dial out to a
> client site so that we can have multiple people using the one dial out
> connection (plus we can use IP masquerading because the client has a
> 10.x.x.x network -- I couldn't figure out how to do that on NT :-)  ).
> When we use a Windows client to dial this client site it will hangup
> after exactly 3 hours, but with Linux, it will hangup after somewhere
> between 10 and 30 minutes of inactivity.
>
> Both machines are running Debian 2.0 and configured using pppconfig -- I
> haven't edited any of the ppp related config files because I haven't
> needed to upto now.
>
> Is Debian's pppd perhaps compiled with some defaults like IDLE 20
> minutes and DEBUG? This would also explain why the LCP messages are
> logged even though DEBUG is not specified in /etc/ppp/options.

Leaving Debug turned on (as I noticed you say in a later message you did
find it turned on :)) do the logs say anything when you are disconnected?

Andrew

--
Dehydration - 34%, Recollection of previous evening - 2%, embarrassment
factor - 91%.  Advise repair schedule:- off line for 36 hours, re-boot

Andrew Howell
Perth, Western Australia			       andrew at it.net.au