[plug] NFS problem

Greg Mildenhall greg at networx.net.au
Tue Dec 1 23:40:42 WST 1998

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, John Summerfield wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Greg Mildenhall wrote:
> > it appears that you'll need those mountd specific lines in your
> > hosts.allow.
> [root at possum summer]# cat /etc/hosts.allow
> # hosts.allow   This file describes the names of the hosts which are
> #               allowed to use the local INET services, as decided
> #               by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
> ALL:.os2.ami.com.au
> rpc.mountd: 192.168.1.2: ALLOW
> rpc.mountd: emu.os2.ami.com.au: ALLOW
> Dec  1 11:19:39 possum nfsd[2755]: Unauthorized access by NFS client 192.168.1.2.

My copy of mountd(8) suggests the above lines, but then goes on to say:

  This example assumes your TCP wrapper library was compiled
       with options support (which I highly recommend). If it has
       been compiled without options support, you need to add the
       following    two    lines    to    /etc/hosts.allow    and
       /etc/hosts.deny, respectively:

       # hosts.allow:
       rpc.mountd : 192.168.1
       # hosts.deny
       rpc.mountd : ALL

So perhaps it is worth trying those instead.

We could, of course, be completely on the wrong track chasing after
tcpwrapper misconfigurations, it is just that that seems to be the most
common cause of failure for NFS. The other thing I've had problems with in
the past is having the wrong sort of whitespace in my exports file. (or
just a wrong exports file, but I am sure you'd have checked that first.)

-Greg Mildenhall