[plug] Funny pppd messages in logs

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Tue Dec 1 23:41:41 WST 1998

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Christian wrote:

> advocated this.  Therefore I find it a little strange to now find you
> suggesting the opposite now.  However, I hope it is clear that I had
> checked the manual for pppd and had no reason to expect different
> behaviour from the later version given the information in the manual and
> that there is still a question to be answered.

There is a considerable differnece between  chit-chat and maybe the odd
leg-pull and wasting one's own time (entirely forgetting others') by asking
questions when in fact the information sought is readily to hand.

The fact is the question is at best ambiguous (why the messages? because
debugging's turned on) and I gave a legitimate answer. Indeed, I saw
someone else gave a somewhat similar reply.

I do not go to a great deal of trouble to keep track of who said what at
previous times, nor do I yet know all those who are more experienced. If I
told an experienced person to read the manual when he already knows to do
that... It wasn't clear to me when I wrote that anything had been tried.

and if you write under someone else's name, how the hell am I supposed to
know who your really are?

In summary:
1  I gave a legitimate answer to the question
2  I referred the author to online docs he had at hand and that gave the
answer.
3  I suggested the author would have found that answer much sooner by
readong those documents. If someone, whether Oliver, Christian or someone
lurking takes that point, it's worth making.

As to the meaning of the messages I've got no idea. But I do know some
aspects of the session can be renogotiated at any time: reverification of
identity by CHAP comes to mind though I don't imagine that was being used.
I suppose it might be possible to renegotiate some other things such as
packet size. One thing I am sure of:

Turn debugging off, the messages will go away.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield