[plug] OCR for Linux -- investigating

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue Dec 8 12:41:24 WST 1998

Christian posed a question today (8th December) regarding OCR for Linux.
Interesting thought, especially as now that I'm starting to come to terms
with Linux I'm finding that I want to port more and more of my Windows-box
capability to Linux.

So I did a quick web search.  I've followed up on a couple of promising
leads including a fellow from Nevarda Uni who had a link to "free ocr
source code" but the link refused permission!  I've sent him e-mail.  Will
keep you posted..

BTW -- one of the things I really appreciate about Linux, and I guess this
applies to Unix style systems in the broader context, is the inherent
ability to remotely administer them.  Meaning to say that at present while
still finding my "sea legs" with Linux, I have successfully installed SaMBa
(thanks to many), and experimental IRC daemon (thanks to a few) and now an
experimental web server, Apache, single handed, so I must be making progress!

During the latter episode, especially, I found the ability to remotely
reboot the system to try different configurations, etc, extremely handy.
To be able to do it remotely, i.e. from home, was even more of a bonus.
Yes, I know that applications can be shut down individually, etc but to see
it reboot into the desired configuration, etc was very satisfying.

Now back to Mr Gates' world for a while...

Cheers,
Denis