[plug] UPS's with Linux support

Peter Robinson ribbo at iinet.net.au
Wed Dec 9 16:39:12 WST 1998

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Colin Rothnie wrote:

> While on the subject of hardware support, can anyone
> recommend a UPS brand with reasonable Linux
> support, or point me at a suitable web site?

Yes,

Deltec UPS's they have very nice support for Linux, and you can network
machines, in that you can connect multiple machines to the UPS, set one as
a controller (serial cable to UPS) and it will broadcast across the
network to the other members running the software and tell them to begin
to shutdown, cancel shutdown etc. At work we have 2 Linux boxes, a SCO
server and an NT server all hooked into the same UPS, and during a power
failure they all shutdown and come back up nicely.

Sola have Linux support as well, although their Software isn't as good as
the Deltec S/W, I have one of these on my Linux box at home it is quiet
good (although the software is clunky compared to Deltec and no
networking) but I've found the support to be good. I bought this UPS
second hand from a friend and he didn't have software or a cable for it,
when I emailed them they said they'd give me the appropriate s/w and cable
for free and then shoved it on Ansett overnight, I got it the next day,
all at no cost to me.

Peter