[plug] Matrox G200 Video Cards

Greg Gamble gregg at maths.uwa.edu.au
Thu Dec 10 16:23:45 WST 1998

Hi,

  While we are on the subject of video cards ... I have a 4Mb
  LeadTek WinFast 3D S680 and use a Proview 17in MultiMedia monitor.
  I usually run at 8bpp since at 16bpp or higher I often encounter
  what I imagine to be overdriving of my video card: the screen
  `razzes' i.e. becomes a series of parallel vertical lines and
  the keyboard locks. This sometimes even happens at 8bpp,
  particularly after I have been working for some time.
  Supposedly I should be able to invoke a reboot by triple-clicking
  the mouse ... but I've never succeeded with this ... and have had to
  resort to the ugly alternative of hitting the reset button.

  Is the solution to get one of these whiz-bang new cards e.g.

> Millennium G200 8Mb

  ... or am I possibly running the card hard enough for it to get
  hot (I do like AntiqueWhite backgrounds for my windows) and maybe
  need a heavier-duty fan to cool things down?

  Regards,
  Greg Gamble <gregg at maths.uwa.edu.au>