[plug] XManager stuff up

Christian again at global.net.au
Fri Dec 11 13:23:48 WST 1998

On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Oliver wrote:

> I thought X was looking a bit grainy, so I thought I might just run
> xf86config.
> This turned out to be a Bad Idea (tm). It now seems to think I only have
> 64k of ram, and in /etc/X11/XF86Config my ram seems to be commented out,
> dispite the fact that I set it to 2048kb.
> X only loads into 320x200 mode. It's a new install, so I'm considering just
> reinstalling the damn thing, but if you have any advice it would be
> accepted greatfully.
> NB: All tech support paid for in beer.

Just re-run xf86config and this time set the correct resolutions that you
want to use.  By default xf86config includes all resolutions at all colour
depths as being in use and politely starts in the lowest colour depth with
the lowest, ugliest resolution.

The alternative is to run XF86Setup which gives a graphical interface to
configuring XFree86 however I don't really like or trust XF86Setup very
much.  What I tend to do is to run xf86config and generally pay little
attention to everything I set res/depth wise (although the horiz/vert
refresh rates and card and server selection are as important as ever).  I
then go and edit the /etc/XF86Config file (or /etc/X11/XF86Config file
which is where Debian keeps it - not sure about RH, try locate XF86Config)
and set the default colour depth with a line in the relevant Screen
section (DefaultColorDepth 16 -- for example).  I also edit the the
resolutions and set up the ones that I want (XF86 starts with the first
one it finds in the specified colour depth).  I find this the
easiest/most-reliable way but then again battling through xf86config will
probably work and might be easier.

The key I think to your original problem is that you haven't specified the
exact horizontal and vertical refresh rates for your monitor.  If you
can find out these then XFree can use the best refresh rates etc.  Maybe
someone on this list has the same monitor as you (ADI ProVista?) and still
has their manual handy?

You can buy me a Carlsberg tonight. ;-)

Cya,

Christian.