[plug] Sendmail return address mangling?

Colin 't Hart hart at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Fri Dec 25 13:35:52 WST 1998

Hi Greg,

My questions were aimed at clarifying my understanding regarding the
setup we have at work, not in relation to reply-to munging on the
PLUG mailing list :-)

The config at work alters From: headers... it doesn't touch Reply-To:s
AFAIK.

It mungs the From: headers and puts in user at domain.com.au rather
than user at machine.domain.com.au

In our setup this should be unecessary as we have an internal email
system and all the gateway machines do is pass email to and from that.

My understanding (at the moment... maybe I'm way out here) is that
even if I send out email with user at machine.domain.com.au and
machine is behind domain's firewall, our DNS setup should have enough
info for MTA's to send replies to mailmachine.domain.com.au
Isn't that what MX records are for?

Cheers,

Colin