[plug] Old PCs for the poor.

Tamara Thompson THOMPSON at gate.sunquest.com
Thu Dec 31 04:09:22 WST 1998

That's a really neat program.  Wish I was there,  I have a closet full of old boxes and parts.  The concept is very much what I like about Linux: global access, the dissolution of class barriers to education and information, in short, the ultimate tool of democracy.

Vox Linux, Vox Populi,        (from Vox Populi Vox Dei)

Tamara

Oliver wrote:

> I saw an artical in /. about a melbourne group collecting old PCs for the
> poor, putting linux on the machines.
>
> Anyone interested in starting up a plug collection?
>
> I may have an old MB and P133 left over soon myself.
>
> Just a thought :)

Alternatively we could look at starting something similar in Perth??  8-)

(I'm assuming you're referring to computer bank ->
http://www.melbourne.net/kylie/  )??

Would any one be interested in being involved in a Perth based computer-bank
??

What they're doing is getting old 386 (or better if they can get them)
computers - especially from large organisations and government departments
who are upgrading their old machines), and loading them up with Linux to
give away to disadvantaged families who otherwise could not afford a
computer)...

They're specifically using Linux because:

a. It is not necessary to fork out for expensive licenses.
b. An understanding of un*x would provide a way out of the poverty trap for
disadvantaged kids who get a hold of one of these machines.
c. It allows them to set up a very useable system using out-dated hardware
that they can get for no-cost - since many organisations simply throw them
out...

I'd be very interested in being involved in such an organisation if anyone
else is willing/able?

Dave...