[plug] Windows 98 service pack one already in beta!...

The Thought Assassin assassin at sleepless.south.networx.net.au
Wed Jul 8 15:38:20 WST 1998

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Bevan Broun wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 07, 1998 at 04:28:00PM +0800, David Buddrige wrote:
> > the service pack before they even released the product!!!!)  (I don't know
> > why they don't just get the first version working first, before
> > releasing....) *shake of head*  oh well...
I can answer that one pretty easily. In (I think) september, sales of 98
will be blocked for the duration of the MS vs. DOJ case in the US. MS
needed to get it out on the shelves for long enough before then that it
has the sales to sustain itself as a platform through the duration of the
court case.
Now that's been pointed out in the press, they think they can get away
with it by just not releasing the service pack????????
Sometimes it is astonishing the way Microsoft are allowed to use the IT
infrastructures that companies depend on daily as pawns in their
marketing battles.

> If the waited until they got it right the would have the problem of
> win98 being released in 1999 which is almost as silly as Access 7.0
> following from Access 2.0
They'd save a lot of problems if they released it after the Y2K rollover,
IMHO. Then they only have to worry about getting one century right.
If they release it in '04 then they can stick with their naming convention
and call it Windows 4 both internally and externally, squashing another
embarrassment from w95.
But of course by then NT5 will only be a year or so away, so noone would
buy it.
Oh, and I've finally worked out what NT stands for....in line with MS's
naming conventions, it must mean "ninety-two" (i think that was the
release year?)
All of you horrid people that thought it stood for something
derogatory... :) (not sure whether I include "VMS+1" in that ;)

-Greg