[plug] mail delay

David Campbell campbell at gear.torque.net
Mon Jul 13 11:20:12 WST 1998

> From:          "Shackleton, Kevin" <kshackleton at agric.wa.gov.au>
> To:            plug at linux.org.au
> Subject:       [plug] mail delay
> Date:          Mon, 13 Jul 1998 11:09:22 +0800

> I notice that sometimes my messages turn up at PLUG in a minute or
> three, sometimes a day or so later.
>
> My email is handled by an exchange server.  There's quite a bit of
> anecdotal stuff about mail bouncing off exchange servers.  I wonder if
> people using regular ISP services experience very variable mail delivery
> times or if it's confined to the real world - NT interface?

My experience with a HP at Curtin Uni shows that generally mail delivery
is instantenous except when the main gateway is saturated. But never more
than 6 hours delay (this is for the 1200 to 2200 hours period of maximum
net usage).

MS-Mail (and Exchange) are designed around a "dial-out" service and not a
direct connect network. Sendmail has options for a dial-out setup (only
dial when there is either n messages in the queue or x hours have passed).
This is an area not many people look at, there are just too many options!!

David Campbell
campbell at torque.net

"All parallel ports are equal - Some are more equal than others"