[plug] DNS name

The Thought Assassin assassin at sleepless.south.networx.net.au
Mon Jul 27 15:12:09 WST 1998

On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Shackleton, Kevin wrote:
> The Linux machines here are "unofficial", so I can't request that they
> are added to the zone files.
> Is there another solution - like running named locally?  That is, if I
> run named locally, will DNS searches proceed from my named to the other?
As others have said, you can simply put the names in your /etc/hosts file,
in order to use them on the local machines. If you have other machines on
the LAN you would like to use the names, then you will need to set up a
named for that.
The best idea would be to invent a new domain for your LAN (kevin.org.au
is untaken) and have your local nameserver answer queries for that domain,
and forward other queries out to the main nameserver. You don't have to
register your domain or anything, because noone else will be using it.

-Greg