[plug] 20" DEC colour monitor, how to resolve sync?

David Campbell campbell at gear.torque.net
Thu Jul 30 08:54:45 WST 1998

> Date:          Wed, 29 Jul 1998 23:38:13 +0800
> From:          Doug Clulow <clulow at upnaway.com>
> To:            Plug <plug at linux.org.au>
> Subject:       [plug] 20" DEC colour monitor, how to resolve sync?

> Hi All
>
> I just received a monitor bought in Adelaide, it is a DEC VR290 with
> three BNC connectors, RGB with sync on green.  I am hoping someone knows
> how I make it work..  I have found a copy of modeline / clock settings,
> but don't know how to set up the cable.. I have a Trio 64V2 video card
> which I have not yet made to work (well) with Linux, I also have  Cirrus
> Logic 5440, which worked well but with limited colours due ot only 1M of
> video RAM.
>
> Also, if anyone has a copy of the technical manual or circuit diags for
> the monitor which I could borrow/hire/buy, I may be able to work out how
> to modify the beast to work with a wider range of OSs or cards.

I have a DEC 21" monitor with original SVGA to BNC connectors, one or two
of the wires are flakey but you are welcome to borrow it.

*grab DEC monitor manual and slit shrink wrap*

Pin	Signal
1	Red
2	Green
3	Blue
4	Ground (General cable shield)
5	DDC Ground (monitor talking to PC)
6	Red Ground
7	Green Ground
8	Blue Ground
9	N/C
10	Sync Ground
11	Ground (General cable shield)
12	DDC Data
13	Hoz Sync (White BNC)
14	Vert Sync (Black BNC)
15	DDC Clock

David Campbell
campbell at torque.net

The feature freeze on Linux 2.1.x is starting to be
annoying. I say bring on Linux 2.3.x!!!