plug motif libraries

Leon Brooks leonb at ami.com.au
Tue Jun 2 07:30:31 WST 1998

The Thought Assassin wrote:
> My justification is that, in the end, the software industry is a _service_
> industry, and that servicing the needs of consumers is what the game is
> about, not just providing shrinkwrapped boxes and a good-luck wish.

Agree. Microsoft, take note and tremble in your boots. (-:

> For a software company to do the best thing by it's consumers, I feel that
> it should open up it's source to them, and make it's money from supporting
> it's customers, customizing the product on demand, and providing complete
> 'solutions' for it's customers' needs, rather than just boxes of disks.

One of the services provided is chain programmers to their desks for
years in order to provide the software in the first place. How else do
you bill for that than charging for the software?

I do agree that source is nice and useful and good, but many marketroids
are used to living in the FUD world - the city world, where you have to
lock everything or lose it - and so to them the idea of "giving away"
the precious source is indeed horrifying and terrifying.

Linux is and Netscape will be fantastic examples to show them they're
afraid of a straw-man. Time will heal all stupidities. Meanwhile, man
being man, new ones will have been invented. (-: