plug How much RAM do u need to set up a samba server?

David Buddrige David.Buddrige at optum.com.au
Thu Jun 4 16:51:39 WST 1998

Hi all,

Am currently setting up an "experimental" linux network containing a
linux file-server, and a linux mail server - on two 486 machines we have
lying around, and am then going to use a third win95 machine as a dummy
"client" machine...

the purpose of this is to evaluate linux as a potential OS for general
use on our servers... also to determine how easy it is to set up such a
network (as opposed to a Micro$oft network)...

To achieve this, I have a couple of spare 486 machines to play with -
one with 16mb ram and the other with 4mb... (I was going to get another
4mb sim (for $20) and upgrade this to 8 mb)...

I was wondering, how much RAM would u need to run a samba server?  is
4mb enough?  is 8mb ok?

Would I best use the lower spec machine for samba or mail?

any advice/comments appreciated....

cheers

David Buddrige