plug Unusual request.

David Campbell campbell at gear.torque.net
Fri Jun 5 02:02:47 WST 1998

> Date:          Thu, 4 Jun 1998 15:56:26 +0800 (WST)
> From:          "Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima" <tony at cantech.net.au>
> To:            "P.L.U.G." <plug at linux.org.au>
> Subject:       plug Unusual request.

> Hello All.
>
> I have a strange question.  I have a need to place a new machine under load
> in order to test the hardware.  I left the machine running last night and came
> into work this morning only to find that it had rebooted.  I logged in and
> started X only to find to rebooting .. Since then the machine has been fine
> BUT I want to test it.
>
> So what is the best way to totally stress the machine out :)

Compile GCC. Seriously this is the WORST thing you can do to a machine.
People reported problems with the ZIP drive when compiling a kernel on a
ZIP disk. I could not replicate the problem on a P133 but *sometimes* on
my DX4-100 (may it rest in pieces - upgraded to a K6-266 on the weekend).

However GCC would bring the driver to its knees after about 4 files.

David Campbell

PS: Make has an option to parallel process the compilation. Using this is
really diabolical on a single processor.

campbell at torque.net

"All parallel ports are equal - Some are more equal than others"