plug RedHat 5.1 CD burn - No more orders please... (just for

David Campbell campbell at gear.torque.net
Sun Jun 7 01:44:47 WST 1998

> > I don't mind doing up to 3-5 a week but 20 is getting a little much. Next
> > time I will look for a CD duplication service. Perhaps I underpriced
> > myself ($5 a disc) or underestimated the demand.
>
> Im happy to pay $10 coz I understand that it does take time - I'll bring $10
> :)

At the risk of flooding the mail list:

I will be trying to steal the "floor" at the DEC meeting on Tuesday night
for several minutes. What I would like is a few ideas on direction that
should be taken with the CDs.

1) Should a "PLUG" distribution CD be released:
	a) every 3 months
	b) every time RedHat releases a new version
	c) whenever someone gets off their backsides and does something...

2) What other software should be included on the CD. Currently:
	a) RedHat 5.1 i386 install
	   (no source, your not planning to compile GCC are you?)
	b) RedHat 5.1 updates valid for the day of "cutting"

   Mirroring additional software is not a problem, my link does approx
   25MB/hr at night/weekends. My current suggestions are:
	i)  KDE			# nice desktop environ
	ii) StarOffice		# have not tried but I need a good WP for Linux

3) Duplication method and cost:
	a) low demand    - one person at 2 CDs a night (say 10 CDs a fortnight)
	b) medium demand - cut master disks for several people to copy
	c) high demand   - go to a commercial CD duplication service (??)

   The cost of a CD burner is roughly $800 for a x2 speed (approx 25 min
   per burn) although I have seen a x4 for $1000. (Note I am talking about
   cutting speed here).

David Campbell

PS: 2.0.34 has just been released on ftp.funet.fi (tsx-11.mit.edu hasn't
mirrored it yet).
campbell at torque.net

"All parallel ports are equal - Some are more equal than others"