plug How much RAM do u need to set up a samba server?

Leon Brooks leonb at ami.com.au
Sun Jun 7 10:14:04 WST 1998

David Buddrige wrote:
> To achieve this, I have a couple of spare 486 machines to play with -
> one with 16mb ram and the other with 4mb... (I was going to get another
> 4mb sim (for $20) and upgrade this to 8 mb)...

> I was wondering, how much RAM would u need to run a samba server?  is
> 4mb enough?  is 8mb ok?

RH5 won't install in less than 6MB. If you want some 1MB 3-pin SIMMS,
I'll _give_ them to you. All you can eat. If you want 72-pin SIMMs, I
can probably sell you a several 4MB ones for $20.

The samba server will run on a 4MB system, given enough swap space, but
it won't be very impressive. In fact, I can run it on a 2MB 386sx20
laptop I have here, but you _really_ don't want to see that. (-: